Volunteer for Reading Rocks - Become a Literacy Tutor!
This 8 week literacy intervention program is designed to motivate and help vulnerable readers between the ages of 6-12 gain confidence and academic success in reading.
As a Volunteer Literacy Tutor, you will be paired with a child, and expected to work twice per week in the evening, for 8 weeks. Program time is 1 hour per night.
As a tutor you will be responsible for developing and implementing hands-on, active activities to explicitly teach the program component phonics, sight words, and fluency, based on the needs of the child, which will be determined through informal assessments that you will conduct on the first night. At the same time, you will help the child set achievable goals, and help them create an engaging, individualized poster board that graphs their achievements in the reading component areas. *Training and ongoing support will be provided*
Summary of expectations:
- Ability to commit to full program schedule (both nights that program runs for each site)
- Ability to prepare teaching activities/games outside of program time
- Responsible for own transportation to and from program
- Must be punctual and reliable
- Must have valid vulnerable sector clearance (18 years of age or older)
Volunteer opportunities are available in Burlington, Oakville, Milton & Hamilton.
To view a job description, Click Here
Apply using the application form below!