LDAHH is offering an exciting, productive way to keep students focused on their schoolwork at home!
As you all know, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, LDAHH has been forced to postponed our existing programs until further notice. We want all our clients to know and understand that we do not take this situation lightly. For children and youth with learning disabilities the time off from school will be especially difficult. In response, we have decided to offer academic support online through a new e-Tutoring program.
What is e-Tutoring?
e-Tutoring is an academic content enrichment program to extend the online learning efforts of local schools. This program focuses on the fundamental concepts (sometimes known as big ideas in the Ontario education curriculum) in language and mathematics. Our tutors will use information provided by schools (IEPs etc) and various assessment tools to promote engagement and critical thinking on problems that reference grade-specific material. Classes will be taught by an experienced educator.
The math tutoring will focus on number sense and numeration, as well as problem-solving and critical thinking. The language tutoring will focus on basic reading comprehension and writing mechanics. All sessions will be carried out via our secure Google Apps for Education platform. Students will need a personal Google account, a personal computer with high-speed internet access, a microphone, a webcam, and headphones.
The following is important information to take note of:
- Students MUST have an IEP in order to be considered for this online program
- Diagnosis of a Learning Disability is not required for participation in this program, however, priority will be given to students with a diagnosed LD.
- Virtual sessions will begin Monday, April 6th;
- Sessions will be 1 hour long in length;
- Each student will take an intake assessment during their first virtual session and will then be placed in a group session based on their current skill level and ability (if they are signed up for small-group sessions)
- 2 virtual sessions will be offered per week, in the form of a “pay as you go” model. You will be billed monthly by credit card.
*Please note, e-Tutoring is NOT the same as our Orton-Gillingham Instructional Remediation Program, which is more comprehensive and based on Learning Disabilities research
Sessions will be offered one-on-one or in a small group with pricing as follows*:
- 1:1 @ $50 per hour
- 2:1 @ $35 per student, per hour
- 3:1 @ $25 per student, per hour
*Please note that $10 from each student fee will be donated to the Burlington Food Bank to help with COVID-19 relief.
Should you have any questions or would be interested in registering your child for this opportunity, please get in contact via email with Samantha Sweet, e-Tutoring Program Lead, OCT: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope to see you online!